Ramseur sits along both sides of the Deep River in Eastern Randolph County.  A town of over 1700 people, it is named after Stephen D. Ramseur, the youngest Confederate general during the Civil War.  William Watkins, who owned one of the nearby mills, served under Ramseur during the war.  Ramseur died in the October 1864 Battle of Cedar Creek at age 27.

Jordan Memorial (Ramseur) United Methodist Church

Ramseur was known as Allen's Fall and later Columbia before 1889.  The name changed to Ramseur because of confusion between Columbia, South Carolina, and the town.  A post office was established here in 1879, and many packages and letters were sent to South Carolina by mistake.  Ramseur was incorporated as a town in 1895.

Businesses like Luck's TV were once common in small towns throughout the state - a local TV repair sales and service shop.  It is still open for business in 2024.

While most of the commercial activity is found on US 64 along the northern boundaries of the town, Ramseur has a small downtown that includes a relic of days gone by, a TV repair store.  Much of downtown is near the old mill, which was demolished in the early 2000s.  

The Ramseur Community Museum.

The centerpiece of Downtown Ramseur is the Ramseur Community Museum.  The museum opened in 1974 and is located in the Ramseur Community Building, a former bank.  The museum is open the Saturday and Sunday of the fourth weekend of every month.

Since 2010, buildings along Main Street have seen some renovations and business shuffle in and out. The building on the right housed the Ramseur Chamber of Commerce for a brief period in the 2010s.

Unfortunately, many of the buildings in Downtown Ramseur have shuffled through many different businesses and uses.  Downtown's proximity to the Deep River and historic buildings will hopefully bring growth and stability in the future.

All photos taken by post author - November 2010.

How To Get There:


Popular Posts