became known as Little Currituck.
Little Currituck would be the informal name of the surrounding area until a post office was established in 1837. It was then when the name changed to Farmington - due to the fertile farming land that had attracted the Currituck residents to the area.
Since then, Farmington has remained a small rural community. There is no real downtown; yet there are a number of historical churches and other buildings that earned it a National Historic District in 2010. One of the historic buildings within the district is the Farmington United Methodist Church which sits on property donated to the church by George Wesley Johnson. The church was completed in 1882 and remains today. The tree lined natural walkway from Farmington Road is impressive.
All photos taken by post author - July 4, 2020
Sources & Links:
- Heather Fearnbach (January 2010). "Farmington Historic District." National Register of Historic Places - Nomination and Inventory. North Carolina State Historic Preservation Office. Retrieved July 8, 2020
How To Get There: