Scottville - Community located on US 221 at the Alleghany/Ashe County line. It was originally known as Flint Hill when settled in 1830. A post office was established here in 1855 and the area was renamed Scottville. Believed to be named after a nearby resident Elizabeth Scott. The post office closed in 1954.
Interestingly, there are six communities within North Carolina that are or were once named Flint Hill.