Atkinson High School
Atkinson is a small town of about 300 people in Pender County. The town was originally called Lewis after W.H. Lewis. After a rail station appeared nearby, it was on his land that the town was laid out on. By the time the town was incorporated in 1909, it had been renamed Atkinson after the Cape Fear & Yadkin Valley Railroad Chief Engineer, Roger P. Atkinson.
Within town sits the former Atkinson High School. Built in 1924, the former high school sits at the end of North College Street. The school housed all grade levels until 1968. It then housed grades 7 through 12 until 1975. The school would serve grades 5 through 9 until it closed in June of 1993. This beautiful structure now serves as the town hall, museum, and community library.
All photos taken by post author - November 2008.
How To Get There: