King is a city of about 7200 residents that reside in two counties, Forsyth and Stokes. Legislatively, it is a relatively new town - the community was officially incorporated in 1983. However, King and the surrounding area have a long history prior.
King was named after a local landmark - a double log cabin owned by Charles and Francis King. The cabin, built in 1926, was known locally as King's Cabin. The Kings would move north before the Civil War - but their cabin remained. When a post office was established here in 1888, the postmaster named the town King's Cabin.
|Downtown King is home to numerous specialty shops.
Also, in 1888, the Cape Fear and Yadkin Valley Railroad began service to the community on its way to Mount Airy. A depot for the community was built ahead of time - and the new railroad included a stop at King's Cabin. The name of King's Cabin wouldn't last much longer; however, the railroad shortened the depot name to King, and the post office followed not long after.
|King is home to The Stokes News - a local community paper.
Since its incorporation, King has continued to grow, nearly doubling in population since 1983. The downtown area is a National Historic District and has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 2002. King calls itself the "Gateway to the Foothills" and is a short drive from Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain State Parks.
Sources & Links:
How To Get There: