Originally known as Killquick and chartered as such in 1883. The community's name changed to 'Hickory Hill' in 1885, then to Lawrence in 1889. Killquick charter was repealed in 1893, and Lawrence was chartered in 1901. However, any municipal affairs have long been dormant.
The community was laid off in an area 1/2 square mile from Richard H. Gatlin's "big new store".