Ebenezer Methodist Church - Anderson County, SC
At the crossroads of South Carolina Highways 185 and 413 in Southeastern Anderson County, sits a quiet old cemetery, complete with a gravel road guarded by a tall old tree. Tucked in the back corner of the grounds is a well-kept white-siding church with two sets of small parallel stairs with gabled porticos that lead into the lobby. It could easily be mistaken for an old one-room schoolhouse.
The cemetery and church grounds are part of the Ebenezer Methodist Church. It is considered the first Methodist congregation within Anderson County - with dates ranging from 1788 to 1800. The small brick and iron arched entrance to the cemetery reads established 1790.
The simple - yet elegant - church was constructed in 1909 - the fourth place of worship built on the grounds. The cemetery bridges numerous generations of residents from the American Revolution to the present day.
Sources & Links:
- Ebenezer Methodist Church ---RootsandRecall.com
How To Get There: